Share Your Life Lessons and Let Wisdom Grow where it may.
(Add your best lessons to the list below)
Many of us would like to think that we have gained some amount of “wisdom” during our first round of adult living. I like to think that we have all learned something from our experiences but I’m not sure that can be called wisdom.
The dictionary defines wisdom as: “the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight.”
The catch here is the ” just judgment as to action” part of the definition. We may have discovered “what is true or right” but how many of us always take the right action based on that knowledge? If you were truly “wise” you would, among other things, avoid sugar, exercise every day, never have unprotected sex and always listen much more than talk.
No matter what we say, true wisdom may not be something the average man or woman even wants. So instead of sharing our “wisdom”, let’s just go with the “knowledge of what is true” and “insight” part of the definition and call it “Life Lessons”. We can pass on this knowledge and let our children and grandchildren or even complete strangers decide whether to become wiser with this knowledge. This totally supports the saying, “A smart person learns from his mistakes; A wise person learns from the mistakes of others.”
Send one of your best insights to me, firstname.lastname@example.org I will try to put them into categories so that everyone can read and perhaps benefit from your experiences.
Note: I’m sure many of these quotations and observations are not original. Obviously, many of us, through our years of experience, have discovered the same life lessons. If anyone thinks one of these is their original or copyrighted thoughts, please let me know and I will give you credit.
I will start it off with some of my own observations:
- Success is really about getting things done. – Rick Perkins
- The only problem with having a great day is that you never want it to end. – Rick Perkins
- Live in the present, prepare for the future and enjoy it all. – Rick Perkins
- People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be. – This has been attributed to Abraham Lincoln but I think most mature adults have figured this out. The unhappy ones may know it as well but haven’t made a decision to change their minds.
Category: Unsorted (so far)
- You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don’t try. – Beverly Sills
- Give things that are within your means and never expect to get something else back in return. Giving is not a boomerang.
- Beauty isn’t about having a pretty face, it’s about having a pretty mind, a pretty heart, and a pretty soul.